“Arts & Sciences” refers to the crafts, skills, and technologies from the time period and cultures of the SCA. Participants pursue the arts and sciences both to broaden their knowledge, and to enhance the atmosphere at Society events.
This includes research, study, and practice these skills and then share their results with others. You will see them in use and on display at our events – the recipes used for a feast, the armor worn in combat, the scrolls presented in Court, and the costumes (garb) we wear, just to name a few.
The Krae Glas Arts & Science Champion
The role of the Baronial champions is to inspire others in the Barony to excel in their chosen endeavour, be it martial (archery, armoured combat, unarmoured combat, equestrian).
Isaelfr Hilditonn Heilvesdottir is the Barony of Krae Glas’ current Arts and Sciences Champion. Isaelfr created a 10th century Nordic dress, by taking the wool of Icelandic sheep, dying it with wode, spinning it, weaving it, then stitching that into a dress. She also dyed a separate batch of wool in a contrasting peach colour using period dyes, and wove that to make the braid along the top of the dress. She made the brooches by her own hand, and accompanied these with two strings of lampwork beads.
- Society Research and Resources page for research on particular time periods and countries
- Kingdom of Lochac (Australia and New Zealand) A&S resources page
- Stefan’s Florilegium
- Lochac A&S discussion & showcase (closed group)
- Artisans of the Society for Creative Anachronism (open group)
- Cockatrice – The Arts & Science Journal for the Kingdom of Lochac (SCA)
- Compleat Anachronist – a series of booklets written by SCA members on specific topics